Roast Vegetable and Turmeric Rice Salad
This hearty salad is a meal in itself. The vibrant colours will make it a hit at any event. Don't let the long ingredient list fool you, it is very simplistic and easy for a mid-week dinner as well.
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin
- 8 carrots
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp pepita seeds
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup
- Fresh mint and tarragon to serve
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius and line a tray with baking paper.
- Cut up cauliflower, red capsicum, pumpkin and carrots and place on a tray. Coat all vegetables in olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika and half of the turmeric.
- Place in the oven for 30min or until cooked through.
- Bring to the boil 4 cups of water and the brown rice. Add in the vegetable stock cube, remaining turmeric and fennel seeds. Let simmer until water has absorbed. Rinse under warm water to remove starch.
- While rice is cooking remove the ends off the sugar snaps and place in frying pan with some olive oil. Cook until slightly golden.
- Toast sunflower seeds and pepita seeds on a medium to high heat until golden.
- Bring the red wine vinegar and rice malt syrup to the boil. Reduce on a low to medium heat until it thickens.
- Mix veggies and rice together and place in serving bowl. Top with toasted seeds, the fresh mint and tarragon and drizzle over the vinegar reduction.
Serves 4 for dinner and 8 as a side.